Ed Leafe wrote:
> On Sep 6, 2008, at 5:44 PM, Ricardo Araoz wrote:
>
>> I guess we disagree on this topic. I think your govt would be
>> 'optimal'
>> if you had a mechanism by which people could kick off any public
>> officer
>> if enough signatures are obtained, even a president before his mandate
>> is complete. That way if the people are fooled by someone who acts
>> differently than what he promised, or if the people change their
>> minds,
>> they would not be forced to bear with him for many years till his
>> mandate expires.
>

>       One of the reasons for a fixed term is that, short of committing an
> impeachable offense, the person can focus on doing what is right, not
> what is popular at the moment. You elect people who are supposed to
> know more than the average citizen about matters such as the economy,
> security, etc.

Funny that. If you hire a lawyer or an engineer you would be adamant in
keeping your right to fire him at any time (nothing about the engineer
"focus on doing what is right, not what is" your wish "at the moment".
Same thing if you hired an accountant to straighten up your economy. Yet
when it comes to govt you have swallowed this lies without even chewing
them, and you'll accept things you wouldn't accept in any other aspect
of your life.