AIG financial difficulties are not due to it being insolvent, (eg
insufficient assets to cover its liabilities).  AIG's problem had to do
with liquidity, (eg being in cash or easily convertible to cash; debt
paying ability).  AIG used the money paid by those it insured to make
long term investment in stocks, bonds, annuities, and other financial
instruments like sub-prime home mortgages.

The last eight years of the Bush Administration have been hard on
insurance companies with all manner of disasters including hurricanes,
tornadoes, floods, droughts, tsunamis, etc.  I am at a loss to explain
why there have been so many natural disasters during  the  year of the
George W Bush Presidency.  Perhaps its because of climate change, or
perhaps it God's wrath on America for having elected a neo-conservative
executive branch LOL, or perhaps someone has learned how to control the
weather, but who knows?

Anyway, AIG didn't have the liquidity to pay for the unexplained
increase in insurance claims that have occurred during the past several
years, especially considering the tightening of credit from leading
institution, the upheaval in investment portfolios due to the credit
crisis, bear market, and the general shaky confidence level throughout
the economy.

The government's 85 billion dollar rescue of AIG came in the form of a
loan, which AIG will repay with interest.  The debt instrument was
structure to give the government 80% ownership of the company.  I don't
like the idea of the government taking a controlling interest in a
public company; because, it sets a dangerous precedent.  The government
should not be in the insurance business, or any other business, that can
be provided by private enterprise, and the government has the power to
create money.  Theoretically, the government could take ownership of all
private business, while inflating everyone else into poverty.

Regards,

LelandJ