Gil Hale wrote:
>> Is MS still relevant?
>
> Unfortunately, yes.  But on a brighter note, a little less so than before
> due to FireFox, Mac and Linux eating (nibbling) out of its trough.
>
> The other day I was chatting with an associate who has been a True Blue M$
> fan for years.  He makes a great living setting up, configuring, upgrading,
> etc., anything and everything M$.  He made the mistake of asking me how I
> like MS Server 2008.  "I don't really know how I like it.  I am not running
> it, and don't plan to.", I replied.
>
> I was expecting him to get all over me, but instead he asked what I am doing
> for Servers.  I told him I still have a few Server 2003 machines, but have
> cut to Linux, first Suse Server, then Ubuntu Server.  He was intrigued as to
> why I made that move, so I told him it was not so much the money (MSDN ISV
> takes a major part of the sting out there), but more the lack of solution
> value when I look at Ubuntu Linux that prevents me from staying with M$
> Server OS solutions.
>
> Surprisingly he told me the M$ license fees to himself and his clients are
> getting ridiculously high, and has actually been looking to look at Linux
> for File, Web, & eMail Server purposes for himself and clients.  He has been
> losing bids to other folks who are using Linux for Servers (mostly, not so
> much desktops yet).  He is looking at doing the same thing just to get his
> pricing competitive by knocking out M$ Server OS expenses.  In the past he
> could have avoided making this move, but now things are tight and it is
> coming down to business survival.
>
> I did an Info Dump on him (poor bastard), and for once I actually blazed a
> trail for him to follow me (Linux), instead of the other way around.  He may
> "only" support about 80 small businesses, but if he is looking for
> alternative solutions to reduce pricing for client projects, then others
> are/will also.  A lot of little nibbles can quickly lead to "Death By 1,000
> Cuts" <g>...  Not that I want to see M$ crash and burn (it does that by
> itself very nicely already <g>), but I think it is time for M$ to get set
> back a few notches with their Greed Grab (yeah, I am still bitter re: the
> Terminal Server CAL "duplicate" license fees).
>
> BTW, have I told y'all how much I like my Ubuntu Linux Sever lately?
> heh-heh...

:-)  BTW Gil, I used to have a Debian desktop machine a couple of years
ago. Reading your Ubuntu ads :) I downloaded a copy of KUbuntu (sorry, I
really like KDE better) and used it as a boot CD, problem is it didn't
detect my Wi-Fi connection. Back to W$, google, but the answers all
require downloading stuff and I have no internet access from Kubuntu. I
know I could find out where to get the packages, download them from W$,
put them where I can get to them from KUbuntu and then install them from
disk. But it sounds too complicated and all I want is a taste of how it
would work (yes, internet access is an important part of the taste, I
want to see what I have available for easy installation etc.). Soooo...
do you know of any easier workarounds?

TIA