> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On
> Behalf Of geoff
> Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2008 4:02 AM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: VFP9 report behaviour

I'm sorry you're struggling with the VFP 9 Report Writer .. but I *STRONGLY*
disagree that it's junk and lacking features. It's absolutely awesome and
provides unlimited new features once you grasp how to use it. MSFT has
completely opened the door for us to "extend" the report writer as much as
our imaginations can create.

The issue about fields not fitting is well documented. The RW now uses GDI+
to render instead of the older GDI, and GDI+ happens to have slightly
different sizes which can result in some fields not fitting on the report
anymore, especially numeric fields with formatting. You simply have to
adjust the field width of those fields by a few pixels and all is well. We
have hundreds of reports in our application and it didn't take very long at
all to test each one and widen fields where needed.

The issue you're having with a report being in an infinite loop .. I'm not
sure how the new report engine would cause that. I have not encountered
that.

The things I've done with the new reports is amazing ... conditionally
changing the font size of large descriptions so they fit in a smaller space,
forcing page breaks when I want them, keeping entire groups of data together
on one page, shrinking an entire report so I can fit 2 "pages" on one sheet,
including a top and/or left offset to shift an entire report for binding or
preprinted forms, printing booklets which involves duplex printing with
pages out of order and shrunk down to 2 per side of sheet, switching a
landscape report to portrait and reducing size so more can fit on a page,
shrinking an entire report so 1+ pages gets shrunk down enough and prints on
one page only (like the "reduce to fit" feature in Excel) ... and on and on.

The VFP 9 Report Writer is EXTREMELY powerful!!!!

Cathy Pountney