Alan,

>> I'm just too spoiled with VFP and it's mix of native OOP, xBase
>> language, SQL language and my favorite - the command window.

> I find that there is nothing really approaching the above on any
> platform, we really *are* spoiled in that respect.

We've been coming up the Python learning curve for about a year and
here's a quick comparison of how Python stacks up to VFP from a VFP
perspective:

- OOP: even better than VFP's, simple but w/multiple inheritance
  (mixins) and lots more flexibility; everything is python is an object
  (built-in data types, functions, classes, modules, etc) so there's a
  consistent feel to working with the language; a bonus is you can
  subclass built-in data types; note: there's no visual class designer -
  classes must be coded via an editor.

- xBase language: one of VFP's strength is its huge language with
  commands for just about everything; python has a simpler core
  language, but a huge collection of task specific libraries (python's
  "batteries included" philosophy) that ship with default setup; so you
  have all the language capabilities of Xbase plus built-in support for
  working with zip/gzip/tar files, sending (smtp) and receiving
  (imap/pop3) email, http(s) and ftp access, creating your own web
  server, socket support, regular expressions, xml and other language
  parsers (many), etc; all these capabilities come by default, at no
  extra cost, and are cross-platform compatible.

- SQL language: its not integrated with the core language, but you do
  get the SQLite engine as part of the standard distribution; SQLite
  provides a massively cross-platform single file format for your tables
  and it has no practical limitations on size (no 2G limitations); the
  downsides are that its really a single user file format and it doesn't
  have the rich set of DBC functions that some may use. On the other
  hand, most multi-user VFP apps I've seen use a backend database and
  Python supports them all.

- Command window: a favorite feature of mine and also present in Python
  via its IDLE IDE ... with a bonus that you don't have to remember to
  type that damn '?' before outputting content - just type the name of a
  variable (or function or library, etc) and its value is printed to the
  console. I prefer the Python IDLE command window to its VFP equivalent
  (really!).

Other reasons why we're excited about Python (from a VFP perspective):

- cross platform (Windows, Mac, Linux/Unix, plus handhelds like Symbian)
- 64-bit versions for working with large in-memory data structures
- rich support for threading, external processes, multi-processing
- choice of GUI frameworks (wxWidgets, Qt, Tkinter)
- choice of powerful web frameworks like Django, webpy, etc)
- actively under development w/out the fear of planned obsolescence
- many community support options (mailing lists, forums, wikis, etc)
- full unicode support
- no royalties

Now the downsides (from a VFP perspective):

- building RAD GUI/reporting apps: its (much?) more difficult to build
  simple GUI apps; there is no VFP/VB like RAD environment for whipping
  out quick and dirty applications (and/or reports) with automatic data
  binding although Ed and Paul's Dabo framework continues to impress.

- the size of compiled distributables (under Windows) is about the same
  for non-GUI applications (about 5 Mb), but applications using a GUI
  framework like wxWidgets can more than double in size to 12-15 Mb

- creating distributables is more complicated than the point and click
  way provided by VFP's project manager although this process can be
  automated through scripting

Malcolm