I would imagine it stems from the C programming language in that
variables are case sensitive, and since Unix & Linux are very
strongly tied to C, they probably kept the design concept the same
when making the filesystem.

As to whether it makes sense or not, it's really what you are used
to. Since we are mostly Windows users, it doesn't make sense, as we
are not used to it. Unix/Linux natives are used to it, and probably
think having them be equal despite case differences is foolish.

I will admit that I can't think of an objective reason why case
sensitivity *should* matter for files, but there might be other
people who can think of a good reason.