I agree with Stephen re: how slow even "fast memory" (really, "less slow")
RAM sticks are.  I made the mistake of getting a 16Gb memory stick to move
somewhat large files between a few non-networked machines.  What a mistake!
Other than their small size I find using external eSATA II or USB2 HDD units
far more practical.  Seagate Xtreme HDD units have a 5 year warranty, and
are reasonably priced, FWIW.  I have been getting a lot of their 1.5Tg eSATA
II/USB2/Firewire interface capable units (now I have about 16 of them).
Once I disable the Sleep Power Saving feature with their included software
they perform wonderfully.

Gil