On 05/10/2010 12:34 PM, Bill Arnold wrote:
> Hi Leland,
>
> For perspective on high end database performance, compare both to TPF
> (25,000 transactions per second)
> http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/37518.html?wlc=1273511918
>
> " ... but what is most significant is the system's compatibility with Linux.
> This feature opens the door for many more programmers and administrators who
> may want to work with it."
>
> I've written applications for TPF (Avis rent-a-car) years ago. Kinda/sorta
> like VFP, it reads records into "work areas" (levels). Records are chained
> (linked) to enable reading back and forth through sets. At the time it was
> assembler only, but that may have changed with z/TPF.
>

> Bill

If I understand the article correctly, TPF was targeted for IBM's
zSeries mainframes, which runs on IBM's OS only.  That's likely where
the 25,000 transaction per seconds originated.  The new z/TPF will run
on regular servers under Linux and other OS(s). For JOY!

DB2 is better know as IBM's database, but having z/TPF come out as an
open source product is great.  Is it free?  One advantages of running
PostgreSQL is it's free.

I remember downloading a 30 day test version of DB2 to RadHat Linux 4 or
5, so DB2 has been around on Linux for a long time, but you may have to
pay big time, depending on use, if you opt for a license.  I'm posting
this email as I run out the door to take care of an errand.  Be back soon.

Regards,

LelandJ