On 6/19/10 6:19 AM, Malcolm Greene wrote:
> One vote for Python. The language and community are a pleasure. He'll
> learn great fundamentals and he won't have to learn huge frameworks
> (Java, .NET) or master huge libraries (PHP) to become productive.
>
> The language works well for client, server and web based applications.
> It is cross platform and he can develop solutions across Windows, Linux,
> Mac and in the mobile world, on Symbian devices.
>
> Finally, he'll stand out in a crowded field of me-too developers.

Python's a great language to learn first. Very general-purpose, lots of easy to
use
libraries exist for it to do almost anything you want, and the syntax doesn't
get in
the way. Code is very clean, terse, readable and understandable.

Having Python under his belt, I submit he could pick up any other interesting
language without a tremendous level of pain.

I hope Python stays a niche language though.

Paul