On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Jarvis, Matthew <mat...@mckweb.com> wrote:

> "The government's response to the SPD's question states that, although
> open source has demonstrated its worth, particularly on servers, the
> cost of adapting and extending it, for example in writing printer and
> scanner drivers, and of training, have proved greater than anticipated."
>
> Huh? Are folks out there really having to code this stuff from scratch?
> What sort of equipment are these people using anyway???

Well, as with Windows, if there's a supported driver, you're all set
and, if not, you're likely out of luck. If they had a bunch of
specialty equipment, it's possible there aren't drivers. Then mention
scanners. Linux supports most out-of-the-box, but there's a bunch of
proprietary stuff at the margins (like high-speed, high-capacity
scanners a government agency might use) that are pretty inaccessible.

> I'll admit to seeing/experiencing a lot of suck factor w/ Linux based
> open source software at times, but I've never heard of anyone in my
> circles I know of actually having to WRITE code to use some piece of
> equipment...

Proprietary networking equipment seems to be one of the real buggers.

I think "training" was more likely the big cost, and the realization
that some things are just not drop-in replacements. If you have a
bunch of Access databases, you can't just drop in MySQL and say
'there!'

I suspect the process of migration wasn't handled that well. In my
experience, mixed environments are often the answers: let the folks
who can use Linux or Mac. Let those dependent on other platforms use
those platforms while you evaluate and consider alternatives.

My big competitor in one niche uses SQL Server, IE and VBScript on the
desktop, so his clients are locked into Windows. My product is HTML,
so they can use Macs, Windows, Linux, iPhones, Android, iPads or
WebTVs. It depends on what the client needs, and whether they're
willing to take on the switching costs. Costs are always higher than
estimated in migration projects, from what I've seen. The demo is
whizzer, but the actuality is always tougher to pull off.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC