Nice demo! And convenient to study & adapt.

IMO, ~addons/graphics/d3 -is not the right place to install this
package, except as an interim measure. Feel that ~addons/ should only
be for stuff downloaded by Package Manager.

At risk of being called a busybody, I've taken the contents of your
zipfile, added a manifest.ijs (plus a stub-version Lab called d3.ijt
and a new script: demo.ijs) and uploaded it to svn.

Into: demo.ijs I've put your trial sentences...

load 'graphics/d3'
d3heatmap makesampledata_d3heatmap_''
d3boxplot makesampledata_d3boxplot_''
d3treeview makesampledata_d3treeview_''
d3treeview_dir jpath'~user'

The upshot is, users can now use Package Manager to download a new
Addon (JHS only) called: 'graphics/d3' .

Once this Addon is installed, all you have to do now is:

   load 'graphics/d3/demo'

for 3 new browser windows to be created, displaying your plots.

@Bill --how do I add a new Lab to the "studio > labs" dropdown menu in
jijx? (The way I do it for GTK hasn't worked for JHS.)