A classic work is APL: An Interactive Approach by Leonard Gilman and
Allen J. Rose. I've seen it for sale for as low as $3 recently, but it
looks like computer bidding is driving the price up right now.

And, of course, anything written by Ken Iverson is good - especially
if you take the time to try a few experiments for each of his
examples. (And do not feel bad if that takes time. I've taken over a
year, to read one of his books - though obviously I did a lot of other
things, including a fair amount of sleeping, during that time.)

Thanks,

--
Raul