I will try and make time to look at this book, and think through these issues.

That said, I will note that in the context of jhs:

"server code" means J (which typically is expressed in .ijs files, but
not always).

"client code" means Javascript (which often is expressed in .js files,
but not always).

These distinctions might not be relevant, though, in other contexts
(for example http://nodejs.org/ is about running javascript on the
server or from the command line, which raises a variety of issues but
addresses some other issues).

Thanks,

--
Raul