Others have suggested debugging tools, but since you are still having
problems, I'll just add; you need to start a browser's debugging console so
that you can see why things fail. On PCs, Chrome and Firefox both use
Ctrl-Shift-J.  I prefer Chrome because it is less cluttered.  Firefox often
reports so much that it can be difficult to spot what matters.

If you'd like to learn with another approach, I've written a rather simple
approach to building web pages.  As it is for APL rather than J, please
contact me if you are interested.

Paul