Pollution is a good choice of words here.

There's a problem in assuming that = always has the same meaning. There's
another problem in assuming that textbooks are accurate. These are
typically not big problems, but they are (from some points of view)
significant problems (and the scale of these problems reflect underlying
flaws in both our educational process and how we manage it).

Watch:
   0 1 2 3 4 5 * 0
0 0 0 0 0 0

When we ask about what 0^0 means, we are asking "what is the number which
(when not multiplied by zero) would give zero as a result if it was
multiplied by zero". It's a trash question and any answer is going to be
trash.

Put differently: you cannot expect a computer to do your thinking for you
(unless you are prepared to wait infinite time for good answers).

That said, 1=0^0 is just as valid as any other answer. Anyone claiming it's
a wrong answer (or claiming "it's not even wrong") is missing the point.
It's a completely valid answer.

The problem is that it's not the only valid answer and that just annoys
some people. But maybe some people deserve to be annoyed by this kind of
issue?

Thanks,

--
Raul