So the top line is a duration based on the key signature for which you are
interested in composing in. So in 4/4 time you could decide the duration is a
quarter note and then measures would look like:
Measure 1: Dotted 1/2 note, quarter note carried over to the next measure as a
quarter note,
Measure 2: carried quarter note, quarter note, half note carried over to
quarter note
Measure 3: carried quarter note, quarter note, half note
Measure 4: dotted 1/2 note, quarter note rest
The quarter note rest I put in to complete the measure you could just as easily
repeat the sequence.

The attack is used to decide if we single, double or triple play a note in a
rhythm so adding the attack:
Measure 1: 1/2 note with played quarter note (or visa versa), quarter note
carried over to the next measure as a quarter note,
Measure 2: carried quarter note, quarter note, half note carried over to
quarter note
Measure 3: carried quarter note, quarter note, half note
Measure 4: dotted 1/2 note, quarter note rest

So an attack of 3 on a 3 duration note on a piano would mean you hit a key 3
times for equal duration. An attack of 2 on a 3 duration note would mean one of
3 things: play 2 equal durations for the 3 duration time or play 1 duration
then play a 2 duration note or play a 2 duration note and then a 1 duration
note.

If you read music I can send you a staff representation in pdf if you want me
too.

I did a simplified translation of this. The goal would be to chose a note
(quarter note, eighth note, sixteenth note, etc) as the base duration that
minimizes the carry of a held note over to the next measure.

Tom McGuire