I agree with Eric regarding the challenges of adding dictionaries.

One issue: I think a necessary prerequisite is improved symbols.

On Mon, 31 Jan 2022, Alex Shroyer wrote:

I agree with Raoul that competing with Python is not a good idea.
But J can learn from Python's decisions (good and bad) to grow and improve.
In my opinion, numpy is Python's "killer app" because it brings reasonable
performance without much conceptual overhead.
The feature of Python that enabled numpy is its extensibility, down to the
C layer.

There are other good features of Python that J could copy, in particular
the 'dictionary' data type.
The array language K has dictionaries, so J might take some inspiration
from there for integrating them into the language.

Cheers,
Alex

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 5:30 AM Raoul Schorer <raoul.scho...@gmail.com>