Hi, I'm just starting to learn J and JDB.
I'm starting with the most trivial cases since they are best suited to
my trivial IQ.

I built a table with only 1 column defined as datatype char.

I was successful in inserting a single character with each insert statement.
However, when I tried inserting 2 characters, an 'assertion failure'
was returned.
Also, the table could no longer be read after the 'assertion failure' error.
Thanks for any assistance.
I apologize in advance for moronic mistakes I probably committed.
Here's the code:

   load 'data/jdb'
   fldr =: Open_jdb_ jpath , '~temp'
   db =: Create__fldr 'testdb'

   ht=: Create__db 'tblChar';0 : 0
c1 char
)

NB. Insert a single character

   Insert__db 'tblChar';'a'
   Insert__db 'tblChar';'b'
   Insert__db 'tblChar';'c'
   Insert__db 'tblChar';'d'
   Reads__db 'from tblChar'
+--+
|c1|
+--+
|a |
|b |
|c |
|d |
+--+
NB. try to insert a list of 2 characters
   Insert__db 'tblChar';'xy'
|assertion failure: validate
|   1=#~.(#@".)&>'active';Tcolmap
NB. try to read what, if anything, got inserted
Reads__db 'from tblChar'
|index error: readbase1
|       (rws{".)&.>cls

NB. After the insert error the table can't be read by the same
statement that read it previously

Thanks again.
--chris--