Thank you Ric, for your suggestions.

I've reviewed the JDB doc carefully as well as all the example code
and haven't found the solution to my trivial problem.
Perhaps its there, but it is invisible to my J disabled cognition.

In my original post on this issue (Sent: Sunday, December 13, 2009
10:10 PM), I outlined my situation.
I'm trying to learn J and JDB. I built a trivial table with only a
single character column.
I executed several inserts, each one inserting a single character.
That worked fine.
Then I executed an insert statement that should have inserted a
multi-character string into the same column.
It failed.
(All this is in my original post.)

Jordan Tirrell pointed out that a 'char' column is fixed length and
would not accept the insert of a single character string such as 'a'
and subsequently another insert of a multi-character string such as
'aaaa'.

So I then (in the post you saw) built a single 'char' column table and
tried to insert  a multi-character string such as 'aaaaa'.
That failed.
So....I'm trying to understand how do I insert a multi-character
string such as 'aaaa' into a table that has only a single 'char'
column.
Of course this is of little practical use. I'm just trying to learn,
starting with the most trivial examples.

I note that other database systems (Oracle, MySQL, etc.) require that
columns of datatype 'char' be specified with a number that defines the
max number of characters accepted.

Does JDB?

If not, how does JDB know how many characters the 'char' column can
maximally accept?

Thanks.

--chris--