Bill,

Thank you very much for your response.

> Myodbc was too buggy for real-life use the last time I checked a few years
> ago, and browsing its support forum suggested the odbc driver was
> un-maintained. Has it been improved?

I do not know if the quality of MyODBC has improved. I've never used it before.
However, there appears to have been some maintenance activity.
This link gives the maintenance history:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/connector-odbc-news.html

Connector/ODBC (MyODBC) 3.5.x (for MySQL 4.x and before) has changed
from 3.5.11 to 3.5.27 in the interval between January 2005 and
November 2008.
Connector/ODBC (MyODBC) 5.0.x (for MySQL 5.x and after) has changed
from 5.0.5 to 5.1.7 in the interval between June 2006 and August 2010.

> If it crashed during ddcol there might be an issue in the catalog
> field in column definitions that driver returned.  You might do a odbc
> trace and examine the log.

OK. I'll pursue this. I did scan the ODBC trace logs in a desultory
way when doing my 'control' tests vs. J-ODBC.
I didn't notice anything at that time. However, I'll try again.

> I don't think your control tests using python or access etc will use
> equivalent of ddfch. For a fair comparison, instead of ddfch, try using ddfet.
> etc, for each column to find which ones are offending columns.

Thank you! This quickly revealed the following:

sh =: 'select mdate from appts' ddsel ch
   dat =: ddfet sh,5500
   dderr ''
ISI09 Unsupported data type - more error info available (2)

   sh =: 'select mtime from appts' ddsel ch
   dat =: ddfet sh,5500
   dderr ''
ISI09 Unsupported data type - more error info available (2)

Columns defined as 'date' and 'time' types appear to consistently give
the ISI09 error above, in any table using columns defined that way.
Columns defined as 'datetime' appear to work fine.

However, in a table in which every column could be individually
fetched by ddfet, the entire table cannot be fetched using ddfch.
This error results: ISI10 Unable to bind all columns - more error info
available (2)

I will continue to chase this.

Thank you very much for the help.

--chris---