This is not an example where rank is not appropriate. Rank does matter. It
is interesting as a problem and I need to think about it as a mathematical
problem. From a programming point of view here's the issue:
   ^@o.@j. 0 0.5 1 1.5
1 0j1 _1 0j_1
   d=:0 0.5 1 1.5
   j.d
0 0j0.5 0j1 0j1.5
   o.j.d
0 0j1.5708 0j3.14159 0j4.71239
  ^[:o.j.d
  ^[:o.j.d
|domain error
|   ^    [:o.j.d
  ^@o.j.d
1 6.12323e_17j1 _1j1.22465e_16 _1.83697e_16j_1
  ^@:o.j.d
1 6.12323e_17j1 _1j1.22465e_16 _1.83697e_16j_1

If you adopt my rule, then @: is really needed here and   @  could be
eliminated.

I haven't looked at the other two examples yet.

Linda