I was thinking of trying that. Just to get more elaborate project
management for scripts than jfile currently offers.

But instead I discovered TextWrangler for the Mac (freeware):
  http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/download.html
which has good support for managing all textfiles associated with
website building.

What's more, when you write out a new version of a given textfile
using 1!:2, TextWrangler detects it's been updated and instantly
updates its screen display. So it's good for implementing a diagnostic
window for the (J) state of a J701 app, which I feel I need because
jijx doesn't update until the next interaction with it.

Is there something comparable in Windows? Does Notepad update its
display when another app updates a file it's editing? I would guess
not, but I've lent my Win laptop to a friend and I can't verify it
right now.