    Rushdie wrote "The Satanic Verses," which sparked protests in Muslim world
    Author: "Paid assassins from Mumbai underworld" may be planning attacks on
him
    Rushdie has faced threats before

Jaipur, India (CNN) -- British author Salman Rushdie on Friday canceled his
appearance at the Jaipur literary festival in India following warnings of
threats to his life.

"I have now been informed by intelligence sources in Maharashtra and Rajasthan
that paid assassins from the Mumbai underworld may be on their way to Jaipur to
'eliminate' me," Rushdie said in a statement.

"While I have some doubts about the accuracy of this intelligence, it would be
irresponsible of me to come to the festival in such circumstances;
irresponsible to my family, to the festival audience, and to my fellow writers.
I will therefore not travel to Jaipur as planned."

Rushdie, who was born in Mumbai, India, in 1947, has faced threats before.

The writer rose to international notoriety with his 1980s novel, "The Satanic
Verses," which stirred protests throughout the Muslim world. Rushdie lived
under protection in Britain for nearly 10 years after a fatwa, a death
sentence, was issued against him by Iran's then-Supreme Leader Ayatollah
Khomeini.

Khomeini considered lines in the book as blasphemous against Islam.