Fighting Nudity With Hijab Fashion

Tuesday, 31 January 2012

Cairo, January 31: Seeking to change usual concepts relating fashion to nudity,
a Turkish magazine is helping Muslim women follow latest fashion styles while
keeping their Islamic teachings.

"Cosmopolitan, Elle, Vogue, Marie Claire, it's all about sex and naked skin,"
Ibrahim Burak Birer, 31, who started the magazine told the Daily Mail.

"But we, and millions of women around the world, believe that fashion can also
be different."

Angered by nude images in fashion magazines, Birer decided to create a magazine
that would contest the usual concepts relating fashion with `nudity'.

Working with his friend, Mehmet Volkan Atay, 32, he created Ala, a magazine
described as the avant-garde of "veiled'" fashion.

The name of the magazine, which stems from the Ottoman era, means "the most
beautiful of the beautiful."

The fashion magazine was described by German magazine Radikal as "the Vogue of
the veiled".

Hijab, an obligatory code of dress in Islam, has always been a highly divisive
issue in modern Turkey, amid opposition from the secular elite, including army
generals, judges and university rectors.

Hijab was banned in public buildings, universities, schools and government
buildings in Muslim-majority Turkey shortly after a 1980 military coup.

In 2007, Emine Erdogan, the wife of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, was
blocked from entering a military hospital or refusing to remove her hijab.

In September 2010, the Higher Education Board ordered Istanbul University, one
of the country's biggest, to end its hijab ban. The rules cover almost all
Turkish universities.

Islam sees hijab as an obligatory code of dress, not a religious symbol
displaying one's affiliations.

Hijab Fashion

For Birer, the magazine helps Muslim females take on fashionable clothes while
observing their faith.

"We had no experience with magazines before that. We're marketing people," Atay
told SpiegelOnline.

"We specialized in recognizing market niches."

With only six issues out, the magazine has been so successful that they have
needed to increase circulation multiple times.

Currently, it has a circulation of 30,000 with some 5,000 subscriptions being
sent abroad.

Some 1,500 of the subscriptions are sent to Germany alone where the magazine
has a big following amongst devout Turkish migrants.

"There is an Islamic faith, and there is a Muslim lifestyle," Atay explains.

"Nowadays every lifestyle has its own magazine: sailors, athletes, hunters,
musicians. Only veiled women didn't have one of their own. Until now, that is."

In a changing atmosphere in Turkey for hijab, fashion magazines for the veiled
women were gaining an increasing approval.

"We don't believe that women should hide themselves," Atay said.

"Even the veiled have a right to stylish fashion."

http://www.siasat.com/english/news/figh ... ab-fashion