Terrorism to be tackled 'head on'

UK Muslim leaders and politicians have met at Downing Street and
agreed to tackle terrorism "head on", Prime Minister Tony Blair has
said.
The 25 senior Muslims, as well as opposition leaders, met to discuss
the London bombings, which killed 56.

The possibility of setting up a task force to fight terrorism was
discussed.

Mr Blair said it was time to "confront this evil ideology, take it on
and defeat it" and promised action against those who incited
terrorism.

Speaking after the talks, Conservative leader Michael Howard said it
was the responsibility of Muslim leaders to reach out to young people
in their communities to prevent the "merchants of evil" from
influencing them.

 It is not the top few who will help, but the education of today's
youth that will prevent problems in the future
Ryan, Cardiff, Wales

But he added: "We must do much more than we have done so far to make
everyone in this great national community of ours proud of being
British."

Liberal Democrat leader Charles Kennedy said representatives had
agreed the taskforce would have to be centrally driven but "locally
achieved".

Tony Blair said the meeting was "heartening" and showed "a remarkable
degree of unity across the community and across the political
parties".

And he said that the law on inciting hatred and terrorist violence
was likely to be strengthened.

Iraq 'excuse'

"I am against people who advocate suicide bombing, whether it's in
London, whether it's in Afghanistan or Iraq or it's in Palestine or
its in Turkey or Kashmir or anywhere. They have got no place, such
people, in our country."

After the meeting, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair
called for a new offence to tackle extremist preachers who had proved
difficult to prosecute.

"We need a new offence - 'glorifying terrorism' would do very well,"
he said.

The prime minister rejected claims the military action in Iraq had
made Britain more of a target for terrorist attacks.

"Of course these terrorists will use Iraq as an excuse. They will use
Afghanistan. September 11, of course, happened before both those
things and then the excuse was American policy on Israel."

 SOME OF THOSE ATTENDING
Sir Iqbal Sacranie - Muslim Council of Britain
Yousef Al-Khoei - Al Khoei Foundation
Zaki Badawi - Muslim College
Sarah Joseph Sadiq Khan MP
Shahid Malik MP
Imam Irabhim Mogra

MP Sadiq Khan said: "This was not a love-in."

There had been "frank and robust discussions" over what should be
done, he said.

Imam Ibrahim Mogra said he believed that Iraq had acted as
a "recruitment sergeant for people who wish to preach hatred".

"I believe there was a relationship but that does not justify what
these murderous criminals have done."

Meanwhile, police have been given permission to keep in custody until
23 July a West Yorkshire man arrested on 12 July.

Biochemist doubts

The man, 29, was arrested on suspicion of the commission, instigation
or preparation of acts of terrorism and is being held at a central
London police station.

In another development, Egyptian officials are quoted as saying
biochemist Magdi Mahmoud al-Nashar, arrested in Cairo, has no
connection with the blasts.

 We must start engaging with, not agreeing with, the radical groups
who we have said in the past are complete nutters
Sayeeda Warsi
Conservative's Muslim vice-chair

The officials were quoted in Egypt's government newspaper Al Ahra.

The 33-year-old Leeds University chemistry PhD student, arrested as
part of the inquiry into the bombings, denies any link.

Chancellor Gordon Brown has announced that £10m will go into a
criminal injuries compensation scheme to help those wounded by the
London bombings. A further £10m will go to the Metropolitan Police to
help the force with its counter-terrorism work.

Mr Blair also met Afghan President Hamid Karzai on Tuesday as the UK
commits more troops to the country ahead of parliamentary elections
later this year.

On Monday, officials in Pakistan confirmed that three of the four
London bombers had visited the country last year.

 The terrorists have proven in Afghanistan that they are simply in
the business of killing, regardless of where that killing may be
Hamid Karzai
Afghan president

Mohammad Sidique Khan, 30, and Shehzad Tanweer, 22, arrived and left
together, and spent three months in the country.

It is not clear how long Hasib Hussain, 18, who flew in last July,
stayed in Pakistan.

The three, all Britons of Pakistani descent, and one other bomber
were among 56 people killed in the blasts.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/4695275.stm

Published: 2005/07/19 15:15:50 GMT

© BBC MMV