Wah, Allah dulu nggak bilagn sorga itu ada dimana
persisnya...

Allahu Akbar.

---

'Hundreds of worlds' in Milky Way
By Helen Briggs
Science reporter, BBC News, Boston

Rocky planets, possibly with conditions suitable for
life, may be more common than previously thought in
our galaxy, a study has found.
New evidence suggests more than half the Sun-like
stars in the Milky Way could have similar planetary
systems.

There may also be hundreds of undiscovered worlds in
outer parts of our Solar System, astronomers believe.

Future studies of such worlds will radically alter our
understanding of how planets are formed, they say.

New findings about planets were presented at the
American Association for the Advancement of Science
(AAAS) in Boston.

Nasa telescope

Michael Meyer, an astronomer from the University of
Arizona, said he believes Earth-like planets are
probably very common around Sun-like stars.

 I expect that we will find a very large number of
planets
Alan Stern
Nasa

"Our observations suggest that between 20% and 60% of
Sun-like stars have evidence for the formation of
rocky planets not unlike the processes we think led to
planet Earth," he said.

"That is very exciting."

Mr Meyer's team used the US space agency's Spitzer
space telescope to look at groups of stars with masses
similar to the Sun.

They detected discs of cosmic dust around stars in
some of the youngest groups surveyed.

The dust is believed to be a by-product of rocky
debris colliding and merging to form planets.

Nasa's Kepler mission to search for Earth-sized and
smaller planets, due to be launched next year, is
expected to reveal more clues about these distant
undiscovered worlds.

Frozen worlds

Some astronomers believe there may be hundreds of
small rocky bodies in the outer edges of our own Solar
System, and perhaps even a handful of frozen
Earth-sized worlds.

 We have to find the right mass planet and it has to
be at the right distance from the star
Debra Fischer
San Francisco State University

Speaking at the AAAS, Nasa's Alan Stern said he
believes we have found only the tip of the iceberg in
terms of planets within our own Solar System.

More than a thousand objects had already been
discovered in the Kuiper belt alone, he said, many
rivalling the planet Pluto in size.

"Our old view, that the Solar System had nine planets
will be supplanted by a view that there are hundreds
if not thousands of planets in our Solar System," he
told BBC News.

He believes many of these planets will be icy, some
will be rocky, and there may even be objects the same
mass as Earth.

"It could be that there are objects of Earth mass in
the oort cloud (a cloud surrounding our planetary
system) but they would be frozen at these distances,"
Mr Stern added.

"They would look like a frozen Earth."

Goldilocks zone

Excitement about finding other Earth-like planets is
driven by the idea that some might contain life or
perhaps, centuries from now, allow human colonies to
be set up on them.

The key to this search, said Debra Fischer of San
Francisco State University, California, was the
Goldilocks zone.

This refers to an area of space in which a planet is
just the right distance from its parent star so that
its surface is not-too-hot or not-too-cold to support
liquid water.

"To my mind there are two things we have to go after;
we have to find the right mass planet and it has to be
at the right distance from the star," she said.

The AAAS meeting concludes on Monday.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/science/nature/7249884.stm

Published: 2008/02/17 21:51:42 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

Jusfiq Hadjar gelar Sutan Maradjo Lelo

Allah yang disembah orang Islam tipikal dan yang digambarkan oleh al-Mushaf itu
dungu, buas, kejam, keji, ganas, zalim lagi biadab hanyalah Allah fiktif.

Yahoo! Groups Links