http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2010/11/23/sby-opens-five-state-universities-border-areas.html

SBY opens five state universities in border areas

Nethy Dharma Somba, The Jakarta Post, Jayapura/Jakarta | Tue, 11/23/2010 11:28
AM | Headlines

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono inaugurated five state higher educational
institutions in several border areas on Monday.
The launch was held at the auditorium of the Cenderawasih University in
Jayapura, Papua. "We are opening these five state institutions to improve the
country's education," said Yudhoyono, who also opened the national meeting of
Student Executive Boards from universities across the nation.

The five institutions are Musamus University in Merauke, Papua, Borneo
University in Tarakan, East Kalimantan, Bangka Belitung University in Bangka
Belitung, the State Polytechnic Institute in Bangka Belitung and the State
Polytechnic Institute in Batam.

Yudhoyono said the government would ensure that every Indonesian had access to
quality education.
"We will help low-income people gain an education. And we will even fund
tuition fees for the poorest. We should not allow the younger generation in
this country to fail to receive quality education," he said.

A country's ability to advance depends on its education, he said.

After struggling for 50 years as a developing country, South Korea developed
into one of the most affluent economies in the world by improving the country's
education, Yudhoyono cited an example.

The government, he said, should be able to provide education for every
Indonesian and develop centers of quality education throughout the country.

Since 2007, Yudhoyono said, the government had mandated five development
targets for Papua, comprising poverty reduction, education and health
improvement, infrastructure development and affirmative action for Papuans
involvement in development activities.

Meanwhile, educational practitioner Anis Baswedan said Monday that Indonesian
education was concentrated in Java.

"The government should better distribute educational institutions in provinces
outside Java, by allowing the private sector to take part in the development of
educational institutions," he said, adding that mobilizing the private sector
to invest in higher education had become critical in developing countries,
including Indonesia, where many governments were strapped for cash. "The
opening of the universities is one positive step taken by the government to
improve the country's education," he said.

However, he continued, the government could accelerate advancing education by
providing wider opportunities for private sectors to invest more in higher
education. "This was not easy," said Anis, also rector of Paramadina
University.

He said many private institutions and foundations were unable to invest in
higher education due
to difficulties in acquiring land needed for education infrastructure
development. Citing a research study, Anis said almost 50 percent of
Indonesia's middle class was from low-income families, due to low-cost
education from by Soeharto's regime.

"But now, how can we achieve success with the soaring costs to attend quality
schools, which poses heavy concerns on elitism in our education?" he said. (ebf)