Elected: In America, not at home

By ARAB NEWS

Published: Apr 23, 2011 22:30 Updated: Apr 23, 2011 22:30

JEDDAH: In stark contrast to their inability to participate in limited
elections, much less run for office, Saudi women on scholarship to the US can
do both.

A local newspaper reported Friday that five student organizations in US
universities elected Saudi women as their presidents.

The newly elected president of Saudi Student Club at the University of North
Carolina, Najla Baraseen, told the paper she was inspired to run for the club's
presidency during a recent event on campus.

"In the beginning, I was a bit nervous," she said. "However during the
university's International Day Celebrations I learned a lot. Living abroad
reveals a lot about a person's personality, because there are no social, or
religious pressures."

She told the daily she got all support from her fellow students at the
university.

"Everyone was asking if I needed anything to make Saudi Arabia's exhibit
successful," she said. "There were those who stood at the Saudi booth. There
were also those who walked around the hall wearing Saudi traditional dress as a
promotion."