On 10.03.20 13:48, Julien Pivotto wrote:

> As far as I know the main go proxies are maintained by google, and we
> can not afford hosting one for the project in the long term. Google is
> not really known for their long-term commitments.
>
> I know that in the past we wanted to rebuild old releases of prometheus
> and could not (for unrelated reasons!). If now (or in X years) the
> goproxy decides to garbage collect dependencies untouched for x months
> and the upstream is gone, rebuilding old releases will be even more
> difficult.

There are plenty of non-Google-run go-modules proxy. And should Google
really shutdown hosting go-modules, I'm sure there will be even more.

And even if they all disappear, the git-hosting platforms that have
the source code can still give you the old versions of the source.

And even if they all disappear, you or me or somebody else will still
have a clone of the Git repo on their laptop.

In sum, I highly doubt that reconstructing the source code for an old
version will ever be impossible. It might be a bit inconvenient, but
the necessity of building old versions of Prometheus is rare enough
that it's not really of practical relevance. I would much prefer
leaner source repositories.

--
Björn Rabenstein
[PGP-ID] 0x851C3DA17D748D03