On Sun, 24 May 2020 at 20:17, Julien Pivotto <roidelapl...@prometheus.io>
wrote:

> Dear developers,
>
> It has crossed my mind that we are planning to move the node_exporter
> https package to github.com/prometheus/common/ in the near future.
>
> I think that for the benefit of the whole community, it might be better
> to move it to our "public code" repository,
> github.com/prometheus/client_golang.
>
> We know that e.g. cortex is already interesting to reuse this, and I
> think that basically any Golang-based exporter would benefit from this.
> A lot of them will probably depend on that code in the future.
>
> If we do so, it would still be possible to mark it as EXPERIMENTAL at
> the beginning, but we would recognize that it can be used by the whole
> community.
>
> Note: I am also volunteering to be the 'assigned maintainer' of that
> code, whether it comes in the client_golang or in common.
>
> WDYT?

There's one technical problem here, client_golang currently supports back
to Go 1.9. The https code as written requires Go 1.14 for simplicity, which
we can get away with in common as we control all the binaries including it
and common as internal code. Bjeorn as maintainer of client_golang would
have to chime in on this aspect.

--
Brian Brazil
www.robustperception.io