On 22/12/2020 15:59, Bjoern Rabenstein wrote:
On 16.12.20 21:33, Julien Pivotto wrote:
Can we enable the new github feature, auto-merge, in prometheus
repositories?

It waits for everything to be green before merging.
Auto-merge assumes that all tests green and one valid approval means
"please merge". But I don't think that's true. I often approve a PR to
express "looks good to me but others might still chime in". That could
be the maintainer of the repo (or some other person specifically
qualified to review the PR). Those people should have the final call.

Or in other words: Having approval and merge as separate
human-initiated steps models the semantics just right, IMHO.

From a technical perspective someone authorised approving a PR does mean it can be merged (anyone with write permissions can now click the merge button from that point onwards without any additional review). The requirement for a specific set of people can be indicated via CODEOWNERS or multiple people via the branch permissions settings.

However we might not be "correctly" modelling what we actually want in the various settings, so GitHub could incorrectly merge something as things currently stand.