On 18 Nov 16:36, 'Fabian Reinartz' via Prometheus Developers wrote:
> Hi developers,
>
> We recently launched Google Cloud’s Prometheus metric backend based on
> Monarch. We encountered some obstacles regarding the remote APIs, which we
> believe to be common for backends that were not built for Prometheus
> bottom-up.
>
> A central issue is that the remote APIs expose the Prometheus storage data
> model. It is notably different from the Prometheus/OpenMetrics
> instrumentation model and discards most of the structure known at scrape
> time.
> Structured data is critical to store and query data more effectively and
> translate it to different underlying storage data models. With the current
> API however the structure is very challenging and sometimes impossible to
> restore.
>
> We're also interested in potential new features, like first-class support
> for HA deduplication and write atomicity.
>

> We’d like to explore evolving the remote APIs so that interoperability and
> compliance become more practically attainable for independently developed
> backends.
> But there should be substantial opportunities for backends that largely
> reuse Prometheus code as well.
>

> If I recall correctly from years ago, the current remote API was always
> meant as a starting point, rather than the final solution. Is now a good
> time to revisit its fundamentals?
>

> Are there any recent discussions in this area to read up on and participate
> in?

Hello Fabian,

I am not a remote write expert but we are about to mark the remote write
specification as stable. Here is the proposal:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LPhVRSFkGNSuU1fBd81ulhsCPR4hkSZyyBj1SZ8fWOM/edit#heading=h.3p42p5s8n0ui

We are also working on transactional remote write:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UgSNnQYB1TJKVHkrUybEZPDsDl6MYCSiABm71v73Uvs/edit#heading=h.ih79uqrsv2dl

Regards,

--
Julien Pivotto