There's a.now out of date but working proof of concept PR from August last
year that added TYPE, HELP and UNIT to the WAL and also to Prometheus
Remote Write payloads (on a per TimeSeries samples basis):
https://github.com/prometheus/prometheus/pull/7771

Once it's added to the WAL there's no reason it can't be put into both (A)
any new Remote API and (B) extending the existing Remote Write API v1 as a
minor release (e.g. Remote Write 1.1).

There was a 20%-30% increase in network traffic with sending it with every
single remote write request (on every series):
https://github.com/prometheus/prometheus/pull/7771#issuecomment-675956119

We arrived with another solution over the course of discussion on the PR
which would be to "send type and unit every time (since so negligible) but
help only every 5 minutes" with perhaps some way to tweak this behavior via
config or some other means.

Rob