> grafana has the datasource, which points to the k8s service, which is a
"loadbalancer", which has two endpoints; one for each prometheus pod.

Then each query from grafana goes to *either* prometheus A *or* prometheus
B.  If both prometheus servers are scraping the same endpoints then they'll
have roughly the same data in them, so you'll see roughly the same graphs.

However, using a loadbalancer in this way is not recommended, as it's not
deterministic which prometheus server your query will hit.

I suggest you look at promxy <https://github.com/jacksontj/promxy>, which
is designed for this use case and can do useful things like filling any
gaps from data in prometheus A with data from prometheus B, or vice versa.

>  take it that my two prometheus do not sync timeseries;

That is correct.  They'll both independently scrape and store.  I say
they'll have "roughly" the same data because they won't scrape at the same
points in time.

> but with grafana i see no gaps in my graphs.

Firstly, restarting prometheus is pretty quick.

Secondly, PromQL queries will look back in time up to 5 minutes (by
default) to find a previous data point.  Up to that interval, your grafana
graphs will look flat but without gaps.