Hi,

On Sat, Feb 18, 2023, 04:59 Matthew Wild <mwi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Damian,
>
> On Fri, 17 Feb 2023 at 13:58, Damian Minkov <damen...@damencho.com> wrote:
> >
> > We have been running this patch for more than a month without noticing
> any major issues ... one thing I noticed today is this error, have seen it
> only once:
>
> Sorry for the delayed response on this thread. Past few months have been
> busy.
>
> It sounds like the original issue is easy to reproduce for you. Any
> chance you can try it with the latest 0.12 code (e.g. the
> 'prosody-0.12' package from our repo)? We fixed a bug recently related
> to smacks hibernation, and I'm not sure whether this is related or
> not.

I will check it out next week and let you know. This is different than
0.12.2?

> Skimming your patch, I'm not clear on exactly what the root cause is.
> A hibernating session wouldn't actually be destroyed (just
> session.conn removed), so I would expect things like the outgoing
> stanza queue to remain.
>
> Actually, I'm also not entirely clear on what the issue you're
> experiencing is. The "hibernating too long" message is not necessarily
> an error - it's expected behaviour if the client disconnects uncleanly

> and does not return before the configured hibernation timeout, which
> can be very common. In the case of a clean disconnect, the hibernation
> code should not kick in at all. In the case of hibernation, the
> session should not be destroyed until after the timeout period. Debug
> logs during the disconnect of a client would help identify which of
> these is happening.

Yep, we saw the problem as we added some logs to the unbind event (
https://github.com/jitsi/infra-configuration/blob/ae1b579bce46cfbe686ec2cfc4b44b6e2b0309d2/ansible/roles/prosody/files/mod_muc_webhooks.lua#L706).
To detect those sessions that actually lost connection. And then we noticed
that we got the print for hibernation for all sessions even for the cleanly
disconnected, the print is of course a minute after the clean disconnect
(this is our setting for hibernating a connection duration).

The order of calls is wrong and on clean disconnect, sessions are not
cleared correctly and all go into hibernation.

Add the unbind message and do a clean connect and disconnect via the
websocket and you will able to repro.

I hope this makes more sense.

Thanks
damencho