On 01:28 PM 13/07/2001 +0100, Andrew Ircha said:
><..snip..>
>in the explorer pane, and instead will obtain footprints from another
>open pcb library.
>
>Do others think this is unreasonable?
>
>--
>Andrew Ircha

It looks like a bug - but I am not sure I fully understand the sequence
your are doing.

With libraries it is easy to not communicate exactly what you are doing due
to the confusion between open for editing and available in the PCB editor.

When you say Update PCB, I assume you are using the PCBLib process
UpdatePCB which you observe affects all open PCBs.  Is this correct?

UpdatePCB will affect all PCBs that are open with a component of the same
name, regardless of:
1) which library that component originally came from,
2) what other libraries are open for editing,
3) whether a library is available in the PCB editors library list.

I think it may be this last point that is catching you.  It is very poor
behavior but I suspect it is by design so therefore Protel will not call it
a bug. But as users of the program we can say it stinks.

In a nutshell, to answer your question "Which library is used in
"UpdatePCB"".  The library from which you ran UpdatePCB.  And any component
in any open PCB, regardless of DDB or available libraries, is updated.

You should also notice that when you make a library available in a PCB
using the Add/remove.. function, this makes that library(ies) available in
all other PCBs open for editing in that instance of Protel, regardless of
which DDB they are in.  This is an example of historical design decisions
now being outdated and requiring urgent correction.

One of Protel's biggest failings is that you cannot track or specify from
which library a component comes from.  I would hope and expect that we will
see *major* changes in library management in the next version.  I would
like it to be the next service pack but I suspect that this may not be
practical as it will affect, I assume, file formats.

(Speaking of forthcoming service packs: I wonder if such a beast does in
fact exist. I suspect there is pressure inside Protel to make rumored
autorouter improvements a carrot to encourage upgrades - but this is all
complete and utter speculation. I would like to be proved wrong.)

Ian Wilson

*                      - or email -