as i understand the general development process BETA is way too late
for user feature input and wish lists

at that point major decisions and directions have already been set
BETA is to shake out problems, new features and wishes at that stage
would only add new problems

my take on this is that they have their own vision of the direction they
want to go with the software and as far as i can tell they didn't give a
hoot about what we have been clamoring for

now such arrogance can actually be ok if they are truly visionary and
much smarter than we are (which is something i would hope to be the
case)

users, myself included, have a way of clinging to a pair of comfortable
old shoes, when in fact a new pair may be more appropriate

witness autocad, trapped by its own success
it's really a total mess but they can't change anything core because of
all the third party apps and recalcitrant users

now solidworks comes along and starts with a clean slate
autocad is hanging on by it's fingernails and only that because of the
huge user base

having said all of this, the question now at hand is whether they have
met the above criteria
regrettably, i don't think so
there is time enough to prove me wrong, and i certainly would hope to be
proven wrong

****

regarding Rob's comment about getting no response because he is not on
ATS

not so!
i have ATS and have gotten ZERO response to more than several questions
which i have posted on the DXP list and also repeated there
(they may not have been questions they wanted to hear about)

i have been using protel since autotrax (DOS)
i went through all the cycles, i, like Rob, have been directly
responsible for AT LEAST
5 companies adopting protel, often under protest
would i do that now?
no way, in fact being a protel advocate is a bit of an embarrassment at
the moment

what is the current value of ATS ? (in my humble opinion)
NOTHING - ZERO - NADA
in short it is worthless

i think at this point the only way they can resurrect some good will
from
ATS owners is to issue the long overdue SP7 for 99SE

since this would have the effect of making people even less motivated to
move to DXP then they would then have redouble their efforts to improve
DXP enough to seduce us to make the move

in other words actually earn their keep, offer real value in exchange
for money

Dennis Saputelli

"John A. Ross [Design]" wrote:

> [...]

* Tracking #: 06DD5C4C586F0E4981A6E27A95B65660427F5D7E