Well, to be fair, Microsoft explicitly says that STL is not allowed to be
used in library interfaces for this exact reason.  However, protocol buffers
was designed on a platform that had no such restriction, and we can't very
well rewrite it now just because one platform -- that we don't even use
internally -- has unusual requirements.  So we did the best we could, and
documented in the readme that you need to use matching runtimes.

But yeah, I think it's a bad requirement and they could definitely do a
better job detecting the resulting problems.