I think I found the source of the problem. The problem is that
CodedInputStream has internal counter of how many bytes are read so far with
the same object.

In my case, there are a lot of small messages saved in the same file. I do
not read them at once and therefore do not care about large messages,
limits. I am safe.

So, the problem can be easily solved by calling:

CodedInputStream input_stream(...);
input_stream.SetTotalBytesLimit(1e9, 9e8);

My use-case is really about storing extremely large number (up to 1e9) of
small messages ~ 10K each.