You can use custom field options to support validation of this type.

Take a look at extending com.google.FieldOptions

You can create an option field like "max_inclusive" and then access it
at run-time from the FieldDescriptor and use the information for
validation.

Unfortunately this is still just a "suggestion" - you will still have
to validate with custom-written code.

PS:  I have done this before and it worked out pretty well because the
validation code did not have to have special information about the
data structure, just access to the FieldDescriptor at run time.