I am posting protobuf messages to a message broker, and in order to
identify them, I prefix the message bytes with the serialized result of a
"header" message:

message Header {
   int version = 1;
   string message_type = 2;
}

It is easy, to concatenate the header+actual message bytes and post the
resulting block to a queue. But how do I take these apart on the receiving
end? Suppose I get a byte-buffer consisting of:

---------------
| header      |
| body        |

Is it OK to throw this oversized buffer at the Header deserialization?
Will the extra bytes hurt anything?

Then, once I extract the Header message, how do I know where the body
begins? I could turn around and ask the Header object "how big would you be
if serialized?".  Is that reliable?  Is there a better way?

Thanks
john