On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Ken Giusti <kgiu...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Ok, thanks Darryl - I'll give it a try.
>
> In any case, the README file in the release candidate needs to be updated
> - I imagine most folks just starting out with proton want to be able to
> evaluate it without needing root privs.

I'll update the README for RC2.

FWIW, I think there are two pretty distinct scenarios for make install as
non root. The one proton developers keep running into is doing a non root
make install as a way to test what would have gotten installed had a normal
make install been done. For this purpose 'make install DESTDIR=test-root'
is a much more accurate and robust way to do this because it gives you
sub-tree with *exactly* what would have been installed based on the
particular cmake configuration. Doing a cmake
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME/blah is actually testing how a non-root
configuration would get installed which isn't necessarily the same at all.

The second scenario is as Ken points out when a user that wants to evaluate
proton without doing a full system install. Right now we don't really cater
to this case as an install scenario per/se, however it is quite easy to do
from an svn checkout via the config.sh that is in the proton root. Going
forward (e.g. for 0.4) we could probably have make install set up something
similar for non root installs if we want to cater to that scenario more
directly.

--Rafael