Hi

I'm part of the IBM team developing MQ Light (
https://www.ibmdw.net/messaging/mq-light/) and we are implementing our
client API using the AMQP Messenger C API. Our client API has a connect
function, which is required  to be invoked before sending or receiving
messages. The AMQP Messager C API does not seem to have an API function to
perform a connect, without sending a message or subscribing to receive
messages.

Looking at the messenger.c source code I found that function
pn_messenger_resolve appears to give the connect behaviour we require. So
could the pn_messenger_resolve be added to the API please (maybe with a
different name, say: pn_messenger_connect, which seems more intuitive)?

I was thinking that the pn_messenger_start function should eventually be
doing the connect, but that does not take an address argument, so is
probably not appropriate.

I would also be interested in others opinions about this, as it may seem
to be a strange thing to want to do, i.e. why would you want to connect if
you're not going to send or receive messages?  A use case for this could
be that a server wants to be aware of active clients communicating with it
before they are ready to send or receive messages. Also a connect function
enables a client to determine if a server is available before exchanging
data with it.

Thanks
Chris

Chris White
MP 211
IBM United Kingdom Limited
Hursley Park
Winchester , England
SO21 2JN

Tel:  +44 (0)1962 818209 (Ext) or 37248209 (Int)
E-mail: chris.wh...@uk.ibm.com
Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.