Hi all

Thanks for the informative and very helpful responses.

We did look at qpid:Messaging but this seems to be separate from the
qpid-proton library, and there is a concern that the is no Java API and
some of the function we require is missing. Our server backend is built on
the qpid-proton library so ideally we would like our client API to also be
built using qpid-proton library function.

As an aside, why is the qpid::messaging alternative API part of qpid
rather than the qpid-proton package? Is there a specific reason why it
wasn't built on top of the qpid-proton engine?

The  qpid-proton Messenger seems to give us the functionality that we
require, except connect. So I can think of three options for the way
forward:
Write our API based on the qpid-proton engine directly.
Have a qpid:Messaging like API be built on the qpid-proton engine, and we
implement our API based on that.
See if we can't win you around to the idea of  adopting the addition of a
pn_messenger_test_connection function at the Messenger API, as opposed to
the original idea of a pn_messenger_connect function. This would then
enable client applications to fail fast if the supplied connection details
were invalid.
With the experience of the community what would you recommend?

Thanks
Chris

Chris White
WebSphere MQ File Transfer Technologies
MP 211
IBM United Kingdom Limited
Hursley Park
Winchester , England
SO21 2JN

Tel:  +44 (0)1962 818209 (Ext) or 37248209 (Int)
E-mail: chris.wh...@uk.ibm.com