On Mon, 2015-07-13 at 13:03 +0100, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> I don't really know much about Go, so I mainly have questions rather
> than answers.
>
> - What would actually be included in this 'qpid-proton-go' repo vs
> the
> existing qpid-proton repo?

The contents of proton-c/bindings/go on branch "go1". Basically the Go
binding source code.

> - Have you looked into how other Apache projects are supporting "go
> get", if there are any, to see what do they do?

Nope, good point. I've looked at a bunch of google and github projects,
but all pure Go so the tools Just Work. Anyone know of other mixed
-language projects with a go component?

> I'm not sure how well it would go down with infra to be routinely
> 'distributing' things directly out of the repo.

I'm pretty sure they're OK with distributing source code out of the
repo :) Go distributes everything as pure source, so no unusual use of
the repo is implied. I have "go get" *almost* working directly out of
the ASF repo now, but I can't work around all the glitches - in
particular the documentation browser is a mess. If I could I would
rather keep it all in the same repo.

>  Might be worth
> discussing with infra. Perhaps we could point folks at the GitHub
> mirror to alleviate that? Not sure if there are path issues involved
> with that though. Somewhat looping back to 'what do other projects
> do?' again.

Good point, I'll ask around and on infra, I may be missing something.
If anyone's interested in brainstorming about the proper way to do this
(esp. anyone who's done Go work) I'd be happy to go over the issues in
painful detail.