On Wed, 2015-09-09 at 09:27 +0000, Clemens Vasters wrote:
> Hi Qpid Proton,
>
> tl;dr: I'm working with Proton-C 0.10 and would like to have explicit
> override options to keep Proton-C from automatically picking up on
> EXTERNAL when being offered by the server - while using the messenger
> layer.
>
> By what I can see, currently Proton-C's messenger automatically picks
> up EXTERNAL as the default mechanism whenever offered by the server,
> and when a username has been configured for the target URI. I believe
> Proton-C s only needs to pick up on EXTERNAL under two explicit
> circumstances:

I'm going to assume that you are using the default implementation of
SASL with Proton (as I'm guessing you are using Windows), however the
Cyrus SASL implementation behaviour should be pretty much identical.

As you imply, the Proton SASL implementation has a preference for more
secure authentication where available over less secure authentication.

However it will only choose EXTERNAL iff there was a client certificate
that the server authenticated already.

So if you are seeing EXTERNAL being chosen over PLAIN then you must
have a valid client certificate that the server accepted. Remember it
is the server that is responsible for offering mechanisms. If the
server didn't accept the SSL client certificate it shouldn't have
offered EXTERNAL.

The client will always choose EXTERNAL (by default) because it is a
more secure option than PLAIN.

Using the pn_sasl_allow_mechs() API you can restrict which mechs a
client (or server) will consider using. However currently the messenger
API has no easy way to use this API - this would be a reasonable area
for an API addition - although I'm not sure about simply introducing
new flags, there seems to be no end of them once started and it gets
hard to figure out the interactions between them pretty soon.

However fundamentally It seems to me that no server should offer
EXTERNAL as a mechanism unless the client *is already* authenticated
via SSL. So if it is offered then they should be no way for the client
to select it and it fails. I'm pretty sure that this is the behaviour
of the Proton library with Cyrus SASL used as a server.

It could be that I am misunderstanding how SSL certificates work in
this case, and it is definitely possible there is a bug in the code as
it runs on Windows, as I haven't tested client certificate scenarios
very much in that environment.

Andrew