That's in for backwards compatibility.

For stuff like this, we'd need some way of marking things as
deprecated, giving a warning that it "will be removed in next major
version".

I can imagine an optional deprecated.js file to load in while doing
development, that gives console.log warnings (or so) whenever you use
deprecated Prototype methods, so you can check your code if something
needs to be changed.

Best,
Thomas

--