If you really want to force the issue with regard to upgrading code
with a new library, you could easily supply the library in a disabled
manner. Add a simple alert saying that the library is currently
disabled and the readme details how to enable it along with any recent
changes.

But you are right, those that just update the library and not there
own code (or simply ship an upgrading library to the clients - EEK!),
are asking for trouble!

--
-----
Richard Quadling