You act as if the web isn't built upon conventions, even arbitrary
ones.

I think this is a POLS issue, only we disagree on which behavior is
least surprising.  But since Prototype is designed to go hand-in-hand
with Rails, and since JavaScript methods can be redefined at runtime,
I think the empty brackets convention is the way to go here.  If you
disagree (or if whatever server framework you use disagrees), you can
monkeypatch in your own serialization logic.

Cheers,
Andrew