I recently attempted to upgrade Prototype on our Rails project from
1.5.0_rc0 to 1.5.1.1 and RJS stopped working for us. I traced the
problem down to this change:

http://dev.rubyonrails.org/changeset/5574

It looks like _complete can only be set to true in
respondToReadyState(4) ("Complete"), and that appears to only be
called from this line in onStateChange:

    if (readyState > 1 && !((readyState == 4) && this._complete))
      this.respondToReadyState(this.transport.readyState);

So I'm not seeing how that can ever be called (and it isn't, for me).
Reverting the line to:

    if (readyState > 1)
      this.respondToReadyState(this.transport.readyState);

fixes the issue, but apparently breaks synchronous requests in Safari.

Since this change has been out for a while, I suspect I'm doing
something wrong on my end, but I haven't been able to determine what.
Any enlightenment?

Cheers,

Brad